Ducati

Ducati

 
 

1946-1960 room

Ducati gets Italy back on the road

During the years of post-war reconstruction, Italy was reborn. The economic boom affected all industries, with unprecedented production expansion and technological development. An increase in employment and wages stimulated new consumer spending. The lifestyles and habits of Italians changed, and the need for mobility was one of the first to be met by the growing affluence.
In the immediate post-war period, micro-engines that could be attached to any bicycle were perfect for providing emergency mobility. The Ducati Cucciolo became a social phenomenon, reuniting a country that needed to get around.
With the onset of mass motorization in the 1950s, light motorcycles and scooters saw Italians flock to the factory. But the success of motorcycle street racing inspired a desire for speed, rather than just a cheap, reliable means of transportation.

Cucciolo
A small engine to start a new

The Cucciolo was the first motorcycle product assembled at Ducati. After the destruction of war, the electrotechnical facility needed to restart its operations. So, in 1946 it started manufacturing a microengine, perfect for moving around after the war.
Aldo Farinelli came up with the idea of attaching this auxiliary 48 cc engine to bicycles, based on a design by Aldo Leoni. Practical, compact, and cheap, the Cucciolo was a two-speed four-stroke engine. It reached speeds of up to 50 km/h and could travel 100 km on a litre of fuel. It was a success that would soon cross the border and move abroad.

Installation - The concept behind this installation is to represent the internationalisation of the Ducati Cucciolo and, by extension, the company itself from 1946 onwards. This led to the decision to exhibit a reproduction of the Cucciolo in New York with a print that aims to transmit the mood of a photo of the time.
Supporting this is an historic film that features a moving clip from Bread, Love and Dreams, a 1953 film by Comencini in which De Sica rides the Cucciolo.

Ducati 60
The first motorcycle

The Ducati 60 was the first complete motorcycle made by the factory in Borgo Panigale. The producer of auxiliary engines had transformed itself into a true motorcycle manufacturer.
The light motorcycle included all the traits of the two-wheeled vehicles of the time, in that it was economical, comfortable, and lightweight (44 kg). The engine was an elaboration of the Cucciolo: a sophisticated four-stroke capable of travelling 90 km on one litre of fuel. From the posters of the day it is evident that there was a clear desire to promote it among women as well.

Installation - The birth of its first motorcycle saw the company invest in communication. It was the first product to be advertised and, as clearly shown in the posters, was aimed at female customers. The installation reproduces some of the advertisements of the time, with a printing technique that recalls the period in question.

125 Sport
Speed within everyone's reach

The 125 Sport was one of the first Ducati street bikes designed by engineer Fabio Taglioni, after his arrival at Ducati. The motorcycle included technical solutions derived directly from the Gran Sport "Marianna" racing bike. In particular, the engine had a bevel gear timing system, which made its winning debut at the Motogiro d'Italia.
Its success in the very popular long races of the day made the 100 and 125 Sport top sellers; it was no coincidence that it was referred to as "the miracle of the Motogiro".

Installation - The first road bike to take its inspiration from technical racing solutions, and therefore introduce into the public mind the dual-concept of speed and road bikes.
The installation suggests dynamism and rapid movement, visually recalling a recognisable and, at the same time, artistic codification thanks to the specific staging and materials.

Siluro 100
A record-breaking motorcycle

On 30 November 1956, the Ducati 100 Siluro set 46 world speed records on the oval track in Monza. Driven by Santo Ciceri and Mario Carini, the motorcycle was based on a Gran Sport Marianna with 98 cc engine.
Few mechanical changes were made to Taglioni's original project, while the fairing in aluminium alloy was of greater importance,guaranteeing maximum aerodynamic efficiency. The records start at one kilometre and go up to 1000 km, with records also broken for the higher categories, up to 250 cc.

Installation - The installation commemorates the world records set by Siluro and offers a photo of the time, on material designed to transmit its historic, documentary-type nature.

175 T
Designed to travel

The 175 T is the main character in one of Ducati's most amazing endeavours. In 1957, Leopoldo Tartarini and Giorgio Monetti completed a 60,000 km voyage around the world, riding the new motorcycle. It was a journey that was conceived as an original form of promotion.
The adventure took the two riders across five continents and 36 countries over the course of an entire year, making Ducati extremely popular. This confirmed the reliability of the 14 HP single overhead camshaft bike, a descendant of the Marianna.

Installation - Around the world. The Ducati 175 T was the first bike to take part in, and complete, a round the world trip. The riders, Tartarini and Monetti, were two Ducati employees and the company chose to use this journey around the world as a way to launch the product. The installation recalls the route taken and includes both physical and evocative elements. A supporting video offers historical, documentary-type content, creatively produced so as to be in keeping with the mood of the museum.