1952 saw the birth of the futuristic Cruiser 175 cc, with an electric starter and automatic transmission.
In 1953, Ducati unveiled an economic and spartan 98 cc, which was soon increased to 125 cc.
In 1954, a person arrived destined to become a myth in the motorcycle world: engineer Fabio Taglioni. Teacher at the "Tecniche" of Imola, Taglioni had already constructed motorcycles of original technical character and astonishing performance. The Taglioni design, avant-garde and non-conformist, was baptized at the races. From his debut at Ducati, the engineer tried to demonstrate the quality of his solutions, participating in long-distance races such as the Milano-Taranto and Giro d'Italia.
By the end of 1956, Ducati production included a four stroke Tourist 174 and Special and Sport models, capable of considerable performances (110-120-135 km/h). At the 1957 Milan Salon, the above-mentioned models appeared together with an "America" model.
During 1958, Ducati also produced the 200 cc "Elite". 1958 also marked the triumph of the desmodromic system, which engineer Taglioni had been developing since 1955. This project resulted in the famous twin-cylinder 250 cc of 1960, ordered from Ducati by the world famous English racer Mike HailwoodTM, who specifically requested a machine of "superior" performance.